Re: How can I make IMAP and SSH respect Kerberos certificates?

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:28:23AM +0900, Christians, Stefan Mr. wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 11:21, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:19:22AM +0900, Christians, Stefan Mr. wrote:
> > > We are using KERBEROS for our user logins, and it works great ... except
> > > that we are not fully benefiting from single-sign-on possibilities.

> > > For example, if a user wants to wants to read his e-mail, he has to
> > > re-enter his password to have access to the IMAP server (internal server
> > > in the same domain and realm).

> > > Or when he does SSH to another workstation, he also has to re-enter his
> > > password (or use public key authentication).

> > > Is there any way to set up PAM so that IMAP and SSH respect the user's
> > > KERBEROS certificate?

> > No.  Install Kerberos-enabled imap and ssh servers, and use
> > Kerberos-aware clients.

> Now that was a fast reply. Thanks.

> So may I conclude that stock IMAP and openSSH as well as Ximian
> Evolution distributed with RH8 and RH9 are not Kerberos-aware?

Not a question I can answer, I've never used RH8 or RH9.  It's a safe
bet that the stock openssh doesn't support Kerberos; there is a
longstanding dispute with the OpenSSH upstream developers over this.  I
think Evolution has the option to support SASL authentication (which by
extension means supporting Kerberos), but I don't know if that
functionality is available with the Red Hat packages.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer