Re: pam_unix password expiry

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:37:52PM +1000, John Newbigin wrote:
> I have a setup where I have both shadow passwords and smbpasswd
> passwords.  system-auth is below.

> I have a problem with forcing password changes on login.  From what I
> can tell, account pam_unix is requesting the password change with
> PAM_NEW_AUTHTOK_REQD.  From there though, the password change procedure
> is not the same as when passwd is launched from the command line.  Then
> end result is that the SMB password is not updated when the password is
> changed on login.

> Any ideas anyone?

Until recently, pam_smbpass would look at the 'expired' flag being
passed by PAM and, if the Samba password was not expired, it would not
effect a password change.  However, since most people have password
synchronization specifically in mind when stacking password modules,
I've decided to ignore this flag -- upgrading pam_smbpass to a more
recent version (e.g., 2.2.8a) should fix this problem for you.  You
should be able to upgrade pam_smbpass without affecting the rest of the
Samba installation.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer