httpd auth only against NT domain?

Should it be possible to make apache with mod_auth_pam authenticate
users against an NT domain even if they don't have account
information on the server where apache is running?

I'd like to keep it so users must be added to the password file
to log in directly, but have their passwords authenticated by
the specified NT domain controllers (which is working).  However
for the web server I'd like to accept everyone that can
successfully authenticate against the NT domain.  So far I haven't
been able to make apache work without an 'account' line in
/etc/pam.d/httpd, and if it is there the user needs an account
on the web server.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx