Re: pam_mkhomdir fix(ldap, su problem)

After reading some more information on pam and finding nothing about
when and where to drop privileges. This is properly the closest to
something useful I could find on this topic. The example under would not
work unless privileges was drooped after a pam_session_open. Also the
last part implies that you will need root privileges.

>From http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/pam/man_pam.pdf: page 14 (or
16 if you use google).

"In many instances, the pam_open_session( ) and pam_close_session( )
calls may be made by different processes. For example, in UNIX the
login process opens a session, while the init process closes the
session. In this case, UTMP/WTMP entries may be used to link the call to
pam_close_session( ) with an earlier call to pam_open_session( ). This
is possible because UTMP/WTMP entries are uniquely identified by a
combination of attributes, including the user login name and device
name, which are accessible through the PAM handle, pamh. The call to
pam_open_session( ) should precede UTMP/WTMP entry management and the
call to pam_close_session( ) should follow UTMP/WTMP exit management."

/Troels.