cracklib question

Please bear with me while I play idiot for a short while.  Perhaps someone
on this list can enlighten me and let me know if my understanding has gone
astray.

If on a Redhat 7.2 system, when using the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file and
placing the following entries in:

password	required	pam_cracklib.so	retry=3 minlen=8 dcredit=1
ucredit=1 lcredit=1 difok=2
password	sufficient	pam_unix.so		nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow

By using this type of entry, does this specifically mean that any user, when
changing or setting up their password, that the minimum length must be 8,
with at least 1 uppercase, 1 lowercase, 1 digit and no 2 characters from the
previous password can be used....AND if this criteria is not met then the
password function will FAIL?  Let's say I go more generic:

password	requisite	pam_cracklib.so	retry=3 minlen=8
password	sufficient	pam_unix.so		nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow

By using "requisite", I am inclined to believe that this specifies that any
user password MUST be  a minimum length of 8 characters or the password
function will FAIL?

If my understanding is wrong about this and that there is no way to REQUIRE
that a password must be a minimum length of "n", then someone please provide
me with a more accurate perspective.

Thanks