Using Existing Linux UIDs with Winbind

Hello all, I just started an attempt to have WinNT PDC authenticate for Linux.  I was going to use pam_smb, but after opening Samba's graphical user interface (SWAT), it had a help file discussing using winbind.  I like the idea of having one location for passwords - the PDC, as opposed to two using pam_smb.  The explaination of how to setup winbind seems straight forward, but the documentation leads me to believe there is no control of setting uid's or gid's.  I'd like to keep the existing uid's - it would be very tedious to change owners and change groups for the large number of users on Linux.

Am I reading this wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Matt