mod_auth_pam, password fields, and typing too fast!

pam'rs-

here's a weird one, slightly off thread, but i don't know where else to ask!

i have mod_auth_pam setup with apache 2.x.x (multiple versions).  and have
protected a directory with an .htaccess file as in

  AuthType "Basic"
  AuthName "fd"
  Require group fd

now, this *works*.  but only *sometimes*.  we have determined (i am not
joking) that with certain browsers if one types too quickly in the password
entry field the authentication with fail!!

i'm guessing this may have something to do with grabbing chars from the
textbox and echo'ing them with '*' and the non-portable methods used to do
that, but this sounds absolutely crazy even as i'm writing it!

again.  the setup works - i can authenticate.  if i type the password quickly
i can make it fail over and over.  it's not just me or my bad typing - i've
tried this with three people know and it happen far to consistently to explain
by typos.

what other part of the chain could make auth *intermittently* fail?

totally perplexed.

-a
--