Re: pam_tally on Red Hat 8.0

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 GYR@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
>       I too fought the Pam_tally for a week. I was convinced that it does
> not work correctly, however a co-worker of mine seems to think that he has
> it working. I will get in touch with him and find out what he did. You will
> need to look at the man pages for faillog also to understand what pam_tally
> is doing.

pam_tally is working on RH 8.0. I verified it on my RH 8.0 box for login
and sshd. Check out http://www.puschitz.com/Security.shtml

You basically need to add two lines:
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so onerr=fail no_magic_root
and
account     required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=3 no_magic_root reset

Here is an example for /etc/pam.d/login. It will lock the account after
3 failed login attempts:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so onerr=fail no_magic_root
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account     required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=3 no_magic_root reset
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

And here is an example for /etc/pam.d/sshd:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so onerr=fail no_magic_root
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account     required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=5 no_magic_root reset
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

To unlock the account, run:
faillog -u <username> -r

Werner