mod_auth_pam, winbind and NT groups

I'm trying to setup mod_auth_pam to authenticate users on a local intranet,
to a windows PDC.  I have a few directories on the intranet that are then
protected via a simple .htaccess file to restict their access to a select
few.

I'm using winbind to do the windows stuff...  and all works rather well,
with one slight exception.  I cannot authenticate all users within a
particular NT user group.

In my smb.conf file I have set the following option,

winbind use default domain = yes

so that users on the intranet site do not have to enter the ugly
"DOMAIN+USERNAME" string as their username.  So in my .htaccess file I have
the line:

require user user1 user2

so that user1 can login successfully by entering their windows password.  If
however, I want to allow all users within an NT group, I tried entering the
line:

require group DOMAIN+Usergroup

This works, as long as the user enters the ugly "DOMAIN+Username" string as
their username.  But if they try entering just the username, it doesn't
work.

Likewise, I also tried:

require group Usergroup

But then, a web server mis-configuration error is thrown.  There is a line
in the error log about "No Gourp File?"

My pam.d/httpd file is as follows:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account    required    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

Does anyone know if any means to make this work?  Since we only have the one
NT domain, it seems stupid to require users to enter the domain everytime
they wish to login, but likewise its a bit ugly needing to specify each
individual user within the .htaccess file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
NOTICE: The information contained in this email is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the recipient only and may not be
communicated, copied, distributed or any action taken without express
written authorisation from GKN Aerospace Engineering Services Pty Ltd.
Please reply to the sender indicating that you have received this email by
mistake.

Although every effort is applied by GKN Aerospace Engineering Services Pty
Ltd using appropriate software to avoid electronic viruses and data
corruption, we are unable to accept any responsibility for such problems as
a result of any email. We strongly recommend that you always use your own
data protection systems accordingly.