Re: PAM and SSH

Hello steve,,,

I am on this mailing list as well.  Good to know someone familiar.

Judy

Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> The main issues I have found with not being able to log in via SSH are
> due to 1 of 2 problems. Passwords/accounts are via a kdc and the
> /etc/pam.d/sshd does not look up in the correct place. Versions of
> Openssh before 3.5p1 use pam_unix.so or pam_pwbd.so
>
> Try the following from openssh-3.5p1
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> auth       required     pam_nologin.so
> account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     pam_limits.so
> session    optional     pam_console.so
>
> The second problem we have found has been due to some extra data that
> authconfig puts into system-auth. For our KDC environment it causes
> accounts NOT to be able to log in. The offending line is
>
> account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore
> service_err=ignore system_err=ignore] /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
>
> Changing this to
>
> account sufficient /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
>
> allowed ssh to log in, (plus cleared up some other issues with console
> logins).
>
> If both of these suggestions are wrong, try the following. Run sshd on a
> high port with increasing number of -d  flags and try to narrow down
> what is killing the authentication.
>
> sshd -p 9999 -d
>
> is what I did to figure out things over time. After that it was adding
> debug flags to pam.d files.
>
> Hope this helps
> Stephen
>
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 11:23, John Oliver wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 11:40:50AM -0500, TRUCKS, JESSE (SBCSI) wrote:
> > > You didn't post what problem you are having.
> >
> > Well, I can't log on with SSH... :-)
> >
> > > Have you checked your pam configuration?
> >
> > I know *nothing* about PAM.  I've "checked the config" by comparing to
> > examples I find on the Internet.
> >
> > > Do you have any logged debug/message output?
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > > Is SSH compiled to use PAM?
> >
> > Dunno.  Does OpenSSH that comes with Red Hat come compiled with PAM?  I
> > didn't realize that it might not be... I thought all authentication with
> > Red Hat was handled through PAM.
> >
> > --
> > John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
> > Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/
> > ***               sendmail, Apache, ftp, DNS, spam filtering         ***
> > ****                Colocation, T1s, web/email/ftp hosting          ****

> --
> Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen@lanl.gov
> Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-2 B-Schedule  PH:
> Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545
> -- So shines a good deed in a weary world. = Willy Wonka --

begin:vcard
n:Hamilton;Judy
tel;pager:104-6384
tel;work:505-665-8228
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Unix System Network Administrator
version:2.1
email;internet:judy@lanl.gov
title:Los Rios/Sierra Information System Security Officer
fn:Judy Hamilton
end:vcard