setting the first prompt using conversation function

Title: setting the first prompt using conversation function

Hi,

Maybe I should be asking this question to GDM people, but it seems a general PAM question, too.

We are writing a smartcard PAM module, and are trying to set a prompt.  We want to prompt something like "Please enter username or insert smartcard" at the begining of the login process.  We are testing this with gdmlogin, but I think it's common for other applications as well.

We can set a prompt using a conversation function all right.  This is good.

However, gdmlogin always displays a prompt "Username" before calling pam_sm_authenticate().  It is only after a user enters a username and hits Enter Key that pam_sm_authenticate() is called.  So our PAM module doesn't have a chance to override the initial message.

Is there any way to work around it and display a different message as the initial message?

Thank you.

--
Concentration ... Naomaru Itoi