RE: RADIUS-only login using PAM/Linux seems to require entryin/etc/passwd

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, JC Ferguson wrote:

> > Do you really need *every* user to have shell access?
>
> yes, but not to the traditional shell, but rather a captive program.

In which case telnetd is the wrong solution.

If all you want is for the users to have radius authenticated access to a
specific program without requiring any system account then a simple
wrapper listening to the port, authenticating the user and then forking
the process would seem a better solution.

> problem is, if you support RADIUS, local login, LDAP, etc., you
> effectively have many databases containing user credentials.  the
> restriction requiring a shell means that each time an admin person adds
> a user to RADIUS, they need to add a user to /etc/passwd.  If they
> don't, you cannot log in.  Maybe this becomes a hard requirement, but it
> seems ugly.  One idea would be to map a set of RADIUS users to an
> /etc/passwd user, provided you don't care about priv. separation with
> different UIDs.

You could certainly do that. I'm not aware of any nss_radius type solution
but it should be possible to write one without too much difficulty.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now