Re: An "orthogonal" way of using libpam

Hi,

> > > One tiny thing -- I wouldn't neccesarily make it a environment
> > > variable, make it an option instead.  Env vars are too hard to keep
> > > track of.
>
> > > Matt
>
> Huh, libraries do not have options, it is executables who get them.

No. It is perfectly legal to specify options to PAM modules, and the
module get's the argc / argv in the pam_sm_* functions.

> Do you Matt mean each program usign libpam has to be modified to know an
> extra option? :-)

No. Try looking in a module's source. The prototype for for example
pam_sm_authenticate :

PAM_EXTERN int pam_sm_authenticate (pam_handle_t * pamh, int flags, int
argc, const char ** argv)

The argc / argv contain options given in the /etc/pam.d/* files.

> > config-file=..... will do I think :)
>
> Where would you put that spell Igmar? Into a file? :)

Into an option. Try actually looking in a module's source before saying
things that aren't correct.

>  - I want to use existing pam-aware programs without modification

The mods are done in PAM, programs have no business in knowing with PAM
does beneeth.

>  - I want to control pam behaviour (like using my own set of modules)
>    when I protect my things with these programs
>    (as well as program run by root obey root's instructions)
>    but I cannot rely on the existence of a file in any "well known"
>    compiled-in location, even a "well-known name in the homedir" would
>    *not* (!) work in the long run

Why not ?? The .bash_profile in a user's homedir has been there for ages
and you're telling me that won't work ?? I can name a dozen of programs
that do similair behaviour.

>    [the same program that calls the same pam-service may have to be run
>     by the same user with different module- and rule- sets at different
>     times or even simultaneously ]

You can't. Users can't control what PAM does. Services get called using a
static set of arguments.

> Regards,
> --
> Ivan