pam_env: User environment laden

Hi,

how to set up pam_env, that it loads a file like $HOME/.environment?

For a xsession no file like .profile or .bashrc could be loaded, because
this files needs a terminal. The only way to set some environment
variables for the whole x session is to set them in .xsession, but there
is the problem, that the x session ends, if .xsession quits.

So I had the idea to set the environment variables with pam_env, like I
did with /etc/environment. Loads pam_env the file $HOME/.environment? How
can I do so? It seem, that "pam_env.so envfile=~/.environment" doesn't
work.

Joerg.