Re: Kill all Processes after logout

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 08:57:56PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I search a pam module, that kills all processes of a user, after he has
> > logged out. Is there such a module anywhere? Or is there another way to
> > do this?
>
> I'm not sure why you think pam is the right tool for this.  pam is for
> *authentication* modules.  If the user has already logged out, what
> authentication should take place?

Autentication client (like sshd) should call pam_close_session() after the
session has ended which can do this kind of thing. I have myself written a
PAM modules which unmounts filesystems (like cdroms) which the users have
forgotten to unmount. RedHat:s pam_console modules takes away console
ownership to audiocards, cdroms, etc.

AFAIK, pam_close_session() has been put there just so that sysadmin is
able to clean up after the session has ended; this is not only for
authentication tokens and kerberos tickets, but also for resources which
should not be available to the user _after_ he has logged out (like local
cdrom drives and audiocards).

But no, I don't know if anyone has ever written such a module. But it is
certailnly possible to do and IMO, PAM-module would be the right way to do
it.

- Jani