Setting groupIDs within pam_authenticate()

Hello.

I am trying to set the user and group ID's for the user and process currently calling pam_authenticate(). However, when I try to call setgid() or setuid(), the systems tells me that these calls are not allowed at this time. If I use setgroups() then, the function call works but, after the application exits, the user ID is not set properly.

Anyone know why? Can you set group and user ID's before the user has authenticated inside of the pam_authenticate() call?

Thank you,

Drue