RE: Initiliazing pam

Which service are you trying to get to use PAM? i.e.
/bin/login for telnet?  if so, you need to build/rebuild
login from the shadow-utils  to get a PAM-ified version.
Each 'service' you want to use PAM must be built against
it -- and of course, it must "do the right thing" w.r.t
PAM functions.

Hope this helps.

-b