arguments passed to pam_sm_authenticate function ignore quoting/escaping rules

I have been hacking at the pam_mysql code of late trying to make it a
little more flexible. I would like to put an argument in the pam
configuration file something like query="select user_name from
internet_service where user_name='%u' and password=PASSWORD('%p') and
service='web_proxy'" (where %u is replaced by a username and %p a password).

The problem is that pam seems to want to split this single argument up
into many arguments (at the spaces). Was this behaviour intended? I am
using the 0.72- 35 debian packaged pam libs.

Should I be working on a workaround for the pam_mysql module or would it
be better to have a look at the pam source.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Russell Kliese