SASL and PAM

Can someone help me to understand how SASL works with PAM or verify my
understanding?

I found the following explanation from
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/cyrus/sysadmin.html

The PAM authentication for SASL only affects the plaintext authentication it
does. It has no effect on the other mechanisms, so it is incorrect to try to
use PAM to enforce additional restrictions beyond correct password on an
application that uses SASL for authentication.

Does it mean that SASL/PAM only works AUTH=PLAIN? (my understanding: it
doesn't work with AUTH=LOGIN)

Thank you very much.
Arthur Gong