Re: after upgrade to redhat 7.2, X don't start, console ownership problem

Hi,

I use pam-0.75-19, redhat 7.2.
Basically, I can't start X as a user, using startx, even when the user has
rights over the console given by pam_console. X says
Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
startx as root works, and it also works well with a display manager.

> However, RH changed the way pam_console saves who has the console
> ownership. It is now two files /var/run/console.lock and
> /var/run/console/<username>.  I dont know why, but this is probably
> documented in the sources, implicitly if not explicitly :). The way

These files are also mentionned in the pam_console man page, but without
any explaination. In my case the right things are in these files.

> pam_console saves console ownership should not  matter as long as you are
> just using pam_console and trust it to do its thing. If pam_console is not
> needed, removing it from /etc/pam.d/xserver (and using some other

I think it is needed. But it isn't sufficient in my case.

However I have an idea, maybe the problem happens because I haven't devfsd
installed and maybe the console devices aren't exactly the same than in 7.0. I
will look at that.

Pat