From: Craig Spurgeon [mailto:craigs@quiknet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:11 AM
To: pam-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Active Directory module?

Microsoft realized that many sites would have a heterogeneous mix of Windows
and
Unix servers. The Services For Unix package contains a feature called NIS
which
includes the LDAP Posix schema. This schema defines interoperability
parameters
for Windows and Unix, such as UID, GID, home directory, default shell etc.
Active Directory will use the Posix schema if installed. Thus you get UIDs
and
GIDs that cause no conflicts between Windows and Unix, Linux, and other
flavors.
--
Craig C Spurgeon

linuxguru@quiknet.com

        I set about one day to make a list of the innovations
        that are attributable to Microsoft. Once I realized
        that Ctrl-Alt-Del was handled in the BIOS, it turned
        out that there aren't any.