Samba pam_winbind X Apache mod_auth_pam

I got a Linux box running samba / winbind in a NT network. Linux is a member
of the domain and domain users can use samba shares without a problem. Linux
can also see all users and groups from the domain.

I am trying to have Apache authenticate users via the same method with no
success. I got mod_auth_pam compiled into apache and listing with a httod
-l. pam.d/httpd has auth and account required /lib/pam_winbind.so - only.
Using .htaccess with the pam enabled option I get the authentication box but
all users get denied. And since it take no time at all to deny the users I
figure that is not even trying to authenticate with winbind.

Does anyone has any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Luiz-Robertto Mello