passwd and /etc/pam.d/passwd

Hello all I am doing some expiereimenting wiht pam and I just noticed
something.

If I have a system that is autheniticating off of an LDAP database
and I want to change a user password as far as pam is concerned.
It is only consulting the /etc/pam.d/passwd file.

Or is it consulting another file.

THe reason I ask is beause I was messing around in the file and it seems
the only option that I need in order to change passwords is

password   sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

I was under the impression that it needed the
auth, account

statements

Craig Hancock