Re: pam_krb5 on FreeBSD: undefined symbol problem

Earlier I wrote:

>I'm trying to install pam_krb5 on our FreeBSD boxen.  But I keep getting
>the following from pam when I try to log in (using sshd):
>
>Oct 30 16:28:17 doc sshd[56793]: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_krb5.so:
>Undefined symbol "krb5_skdc_timeout_1"]

I've now solved the problem.  Sorry to have bothered you.

It turned out to be my Kerberos configuration.  The default Kerberos
./configure does not enable shared libraries.  You have to say
"--enable-shared" to make that happen.

As a result I had new .a files and old .so files in /usr/lib, with
predictable results.

I now have pam_krb5 version 1.46-1 running.  The makefile needed a bit of
hacking, but not too much.  The main thing was to say "-fPIC -DPIC" to the C
compiler and remove references to -ldl.

One more odd thing: when I originally installed it sshd would fork and then
do a SegV.  A reboot solved the problem (yes, I could probably have just
killed and restarted sshd, but a reboot was easier).

Paul.