PAM for users and groups info (from samba/winbind)

Can I use PAM to get a list of groups, a list of users and a list of groups
that a particular user is a member of? Looking at the API, it seems all I
can do really is login a user. Also, I dont want to have to start a session
with a user or autrhenticate them, I just want  alist of their groups.

What I want to do is use a PAM interface to manage "all" known users and
groups. Then I will plug-in various authentication servers to become useful
for various systems. In particular I would like to plug-in the winbind
module into PAM and automagically get a list of users and gropups from the
NT PDC. Then I'd like ot plug-in an LDAP module to get a list of users and
groups from LDAP and from Microsoft ADSI (which suppoerts an LDAP
interface).

Am I dreaming here?

Has anyone whos tried to do the same thing had any luck talking straight to
a NT PDC using any samba API or talking to a winbind daemon?

I am still signing up to this group, could you forward emails to myself too?

Mike Papper
mike@digitalpipe.net