Re: [mituc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: pam limits drops privileges]

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Luke Howard wrote:

> Really? Looking through the Darwin PAM sources, the following modules
> support the use of some of or all of use_first_pass, try_first_pass,
> use_mapped_pass and try_mapped_pass:
>
> pam_directoryservice
> pam_kerberosIV
> pam_keychain
> pam_krb5
> pam_netinfo
> pam_nis
> pam_opie
> pam_radius
> pam_skey
> pam_ssh
> pam_tacplus
> pam_tim
> pam_unix

Add pam_pwdb. I'm just looking at the main Linux-PAM tarball. And from
the 0.75 sources, pam_radius doesn't support any of those arguments. But
these 2 issues are beside the point.

These modules don't store this information in a consistant way after
parsing. pam_unix (and pam_pwdb), for example, uses a single integer and a
couple of macros with a single bit for each possible argument. There are
so many possible arguments that there is simply no way of centralizing the
parsing, or else there would be no argv-style arguments, PAM would simply
convert them to flags and pass them in the 'flags' argument.

The module writer's guide lists 6 options that must be accepted (not
neccisarily used, though). Those are the only arguments that you could
truely centralize, but I don't believe doing such a thing would make any
significant impact. I see no benefit in doing this. Argument parsing is
simply not a platform dependent operation and there are no thread-safety
issues.

I may have screwed up with syslog, but argument parsing definately doesn't
belong in a utility library designed to make modules portable.

- Adam Slattery