Pop Auth wery slow

Hi to all List,
      i have finally installed my redhat mail server (7.0)
      but i have a little problem. When i retrieve the mail
      from the pop3 server i must wait a lot for the user auth.
      The log files don't report any error because the mail is correctly
retrieved and sent.
Is there someone who had the same problem?
I see that something similar happens to wu-ftpd.
What i should check :
 PAM ?
 XinetD ?
 Sendmail ?