mod_auth_pam question

Hi all:

I'm using mod_auth_pam with Apache to do authentication against my NDS
database.  The pam modules for NDS seem to work fine in that I can login at
the prompt using an account that doesn't exist in /etc/passwd as long as it
exists and is set up properly in NDS.  The problem I'm having is that when I
use Apache's require-group directive it only works on groups that exist in
/etc/groups.  NDS groups, even if they are setup for Unix use, are never
checked.  I realize that this may be an NDS issue and not a PAM issue, but
I'm trying to look at it from all angles.  What's the best way to
troubleshoot the PAM end of it?  I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Here's some stuff that may or may not be useful:

/etc/pam.d/passwd
#%PAM-1.0

#First try through NDS
auth      sufficient  /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0
account   sufficient  /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0
password  sufficient  /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0

# Fall back to flat file authentication
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok nullok md5
shadow

/etc/pam.d/httpd
[root@minastirith pam.d]# more httpd
#%PAM-1.0
#[For version 1.0 syntax, the above header is optional]
#
# The PAM configuration file for the `httpd' service
#
auth            sufficient      /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0
account         sufficient      /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0
password        sufficient      /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0
session         sufficient      /lib/security/pam_nds.so.0

auth       required   pam_pwdb.so md5
account    required   pam_pwdb.so md5

/etc/nsswitch.conf (trimmed)
passwd:     files nds