telnet timing out problem in redhat 7.1

 Hi,

 I've installed redhat 7.1 few weeks back on a PC running
 Pentium 200 MHz, 128 MB.   The network is configured with
 DHCP server on a secure intra-network within the company
 as a development box.

 I am having telnet session timing out problem when I telnet
 into the box as root.   After about 10 minutes, the telnet
 session hangs or not responds any more.   If I go to the
 console window, and execute a ping command, then the telnet
 session resumes.   I think I don't have this problem when I
 telneting out from the box to remote hosts.

 I tried make /etc/pam.d/other file to be generic as possible
 but the problem (could be called a feature with the PAM default
 configuration) persists.

 Does anyone run into this problem in redhat 7.1 ?  Anyone
 knows how I can disable (or work-around) the 10-min timeout
 on telnet session ?   It is not clear to me whether this
 problem is with PAM or XINETD.

 Thanks,

 Moo

/etc/xinetd.d/telnet:

# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
}

boot message :

eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V. Savochkin <saw@saw.sw.com.sg> and others
eth0: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100], 00:90:27:62:09:27, I/O at 0xff00, IRQ 10.
  Board assembly 721383-006, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).
eth0: 0 multicast blocks dropped.