Re: binary prompts and pam limited by some other protocol

What you really want to do is use something like SSL, GSS-API, SASL, raw
Kerberos, or anything of that sort which allows you to cryptographically
authenticate someone without exposing their secrets (e.g., a password)
on the wire.

I had wanted to design a generic wrapper API for all those systems atop
PAM w/ binary prompts. But that has gone nowhere. Although, the one
example of binary prompts included in Linux-PAM is, in fact, a wrapper
around a home-grown network authentication system based on shared
secrets, so a bare-bones proof of concept exists.

Cheers,

Nico