Trouble with supplementary groups

I have installed pam LDAP authentication successfully using RedHat Linux
7.0. I am using the iPlanet directory server 4.12. Authentication and
primary group works fine. I can add my own users and groups using the
iPlanet interface and it seems to work fine.

What doesn't seem to work though is supplementary groups. I just can't seem
to get my users to belong to any group besides their primary group. When I
do an "id", they only belong to one group. I've tried to access files with
only group permissions to which the particular user is a member of (to prove
whether it is really true that they don't belong to the group even though
I've populated the appropriate information in the LDAP database) but they
are definitely not members.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or what I need to
do in addition. Or should it just work out of the box? (I hope not because
I'm pretty sure that's how I've set it up).

Thanks,

Tristan Bates
Technology Partners Group Pty Ltd
Phone:   1800 155 577