Re: Can PAM be used to say if a user exists?

> I'd like to use PAM as an authentication method for a whole lot of apps
> (pop/imap/ftp/apache), but also as a backend for my mail system (exim).
>
> In the current case, I have LDAP behind PAM, so I could configure exim to
> query directly the LDAP directory, but I'd like to find a solution where I
> can just plug another user database and be ready to go.
>
> Can PAM be used to say if a user exists (when a mail is received in that
> case) or is only for authentication?

With some module modification, there is room for it to work.

(SAY) have a new option on the module "check_exists", and that causes
the module to silently succeed if the relevant user exists. Then make
that module/option combo requisite for your auth stack.

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn