Re: [OT] getpwnam() interface (was Re: PAM and the pwd.h interface

Chris Jaeger wrote:
>         It does seem a little bit awkward that one has
> to write two libraries conforming to separate APIs in order
> to authenticate a user and retrieve his or her attributes.
> I do agree with Nicolas though, that targeting the read-side
> of the API(s) may be more appropriate.

	Just to be clear... Targeting the read-side of the
API *first* may be more appropriate. Perhaps PAM and NSS
should be made one API, given that both deal with attributes
(the information necessary to authenticate a user being the
attributes that PAM is primarily concerned with now). Or
perhaps a rewrite of NSS with PAM's configurability. I'll
admit that I'm not currently looking for the best API; just
one that would allow me to get away with what I want without
having to customize many applications.

	The funny thing is that having read up on NSS now,
I could achieve what I want through a new NSS library in
most of those 98% of applications that I mentioned earlier.
However, the 2% that seem to do things the right way (Linux's
login, Michael Tokarev's POP daemon) still require that I
use my PAM module. So there is obviously something missing
somewhere.

Chris