Re: Why should setcred be called after session open?

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:29:16PM -0400, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 09:59:23AM -0700, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > I didn't quite follow your explanation before about this. But, it is
> > already possible, with Linux-PAM, to specify effective
> > forked-authentication chains:
> >
> >   auth [success=2, default=reset] pam_user_in_arglist.so me you him her
> >   auth requisite         pam_unix.so
> >   auth sufficient        pam_permit.so
>
> Oh. Is this documented? I don't follow this example as it is... I.e.,
> where is the fork? Is the success=2 a "skip 2 if success" directive?? If
> so, I'd love that sort of thing -- I might even write a patch for
> Solaris PAM and submit it to sun in an RFE...

Yes, it is documented. When was it added to Linux-PAM?

Also, since the docs mention this along with binary prompts, I'd like to
make a comment on binary prompts: it would be nice if the name of the
module issuing a binary prompt and/or an optional token type were
included in the binary prompt. I think PAM binary prompts could be used
as a simple API wrapper around SASL/GSS-API/Kerberos/..., but apps using
PAM this way might need to know the token types so as to, for example,
be able to further format them as needed by the protocol spoken by the
app, or to be able to respond appropriately to prompts whose token type
cannot be used by the app, either because the protocols it speaks don't
specify how to use certain token types, or because the app has
negotiated a network authentication protocol to use with the remote side
and so on... Also, to be truly useful as a simple wrapper around those
complex APIs, PAM would have to provide a way for the app to communicate
with the modules.

But this should be in a separate thread, and we've been through this
already, so maybe I should just let it die... :)

Cheers,

Nico