pam skipping a module

Hello all,
  I hae a strange problem with ssh and pam. Her is my pam config for SSH.

auth            sufficient      pam_unix.so
auth        required    pam_pgsql.so host=db0 database=
doldb user=postgres table=dol_user user_column=login_name
pwd_column=password debug

account         sufficient      pam_unix.so
account         required        pam_tcontrol.so
account        required    pam_pgsql.so host=db0 databa
se=doldb user=postgres table=dol_user user_column=login_name
pwd_column=password debug

password        sufficient      pam_unix.so md5

password        required    pam_pgsql.so host=db0 datab
ase=doldb user=postgres table=dol_user user_column=login_name
pwd_column=password debug

session         optional        pam_mkhomedir.so

That pam_tcontrol module was written by yours truely and works just fine.
However, wehn I allow the

account         sufficient      pam_unix.so

ssh will hit the pam_unix.so  module and skip over my module and go straight
to the pam_pgsql module. When I comment out the

account         sufficient      pam_unix.so

then pam hits my module like it should and then goes to pam_pgsql. The
reason I have it set up this way is to provide a failsafe account in
/etc/passwd that can log on to the machine in case the database becomes
unavailable.  Why would sshd jump from pam_unix to pam_pgsql and skip my
module? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

- Joel