From: pam-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:pam-list-admin@redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Thomas M. Payerle
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 9:51 AM
To: pam-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: sshd with PAM; was PAM on 7.1 - pam_permit still requests
password

>  PAM on 7.1 - pam_permit still requests password
>
>     [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]
>     [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
>     [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]
>
> I am trying to set up a trusted host environment with ssh. All of the ssh
> stuff seems to work, but no amount of manipulation of the /etc/pam.d/sshd
> file appears to result in a no password login. The file currently contains
> only lines with required and pam_permit.so

Are you sure that your sshd is PAM-enabled?  What version of sshd are you
using?  I do not think that F-Secure's uses PAM (I may be out of date on
that),
while openssh may or may not depending on compile options.  I also recently
built opensshd and found that contrary to READMES, it did not seem to
automatically build on my linux box with PAM enabled, and I had to
explicitly
give --with-pam or some such on the configure line.  Not sure if that is
true in general or was a quirk with my machine.

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle@physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525