Re: how to *fetch* credentials?

Ben,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Ben Johnson wrote:

> Thanks for the excellent information.  This is stuff I just could not
> squeeze out of the docs.  It's worth mint to me.  Unfortunately what you
> told me is making me (and more importantly the senior designers) think
> that PAM may not be suitable for the project I'm working on.  Fetching
> credentials is central to my problem and if I have to hack up every pam
> module to make that happen then it's less work for me to build a similar
> system with other code we've got sitting around that does fetch creds.

> Thanks a lot anyway.  I'll keep snooping around.  I'm going to hang onto
> this email too for the next time I need pam.

PAM is obviously not a panacea.  If you have a specific authentication service
required by this project that needs to be able to return credentials
information outside of the existing PAM API, then it may be easier for you to
not generalize the code to work through PAM.  The advantage of PAM is that
once you've coded to it, lots of other authentication mechanisms work as
drop-in replacements, but it sounds like that isn't going to be an advantage
in your case.

Best of luck,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer