Re: pam_crypt module will change the world

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Adam Slattery wrote:

> > Well, I think it would be nice to have getpwnam() be a source for
> > pam_crypt.

> Ok. This is priority #2. (After the sshd issue I found last night). I really
> didn't think many people used non-default nsswitch.conf files, and I've had
> several people ask me how to easily add non-system accounts for
> name_your_service.  This was my reasoning for not using getpwnam.  I
> definately made a big misjudgement.  I'd like to kill this discussion;
> support will be added before I ask Andrew to include pam_crypt in Linux-PAM.
> It might even be implemented in pam_crypt-0.0.4; we'll see :).

The big ones that need to be supported by any pam_unix replacement are NIS,
NIS+, and Berkeley DB.  I'd like to be able to call two of these three legacy
systems:), but unfortunately there are many in the world who don't agree with
that assessment.

> Take bcrypt for example: OpenBSD uses it. Solar Designer made a glibc patch,
> but I haven't met anybody that actually uses it.  When pam_crypt is more
> widely used, I can gaurantee you that a lot of people will start using
> bcrypt on their linux boxes.  In fact, I know somebody that does
> this now with pam_crypt :-).

Since portability to other OSes is a concern for Linux-PAM, even integrated
bcrypt support in glibc doesn't eliminate the need for bcrypt support in PAM.
One of my long-term aspirations for pam_unix is to reorder the module such
that it can detect what crypt algorithms are supported by the OS crypt()
function, and compile in its own implementation for *only* those it needs to
provide.

> PS: What is up with this brazilian auto-responder thing? It is getting
> extremely anoying. Does anybody else get messages from terra@zaz.com.br
> whenever they post to the list?

The auto-responder is actually a bounce message.  I've contacted
pam-list-admin (just yesterday, actually) asking if they could track down the
guilty party and unsubscribe them.  Haven't heard anything back, though.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer