Re: [Fwd: [PAM-Announce] Linux-PAM 0.75 released]

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> This is to announce that 0.75 is released. You can find the source
> tar.gz file here:
>
>  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/pre/library/
>
> I've appended the CHANGELOG for 0.74 below. [For further info start
> here: http://pam.sourceforge.net/]

Excellent.

Although I was quite active with some of its modules and its portability
(particularly to Solaris) last summer, I haven't been able to do much
since.

I have just tried the latest CVS (which seems close to your 0.75)  and it
is looking much improved, from the perspective of Solaris compilation.
Thanks.

I have just placed three minor patches on sourceforge.

1.  Address a long-standing niggle that things such as "_POSIX_SOURCE"
ought to be specific opt-in, rather than default.  (It is nice to see the
structure in place that allowed me to produce this clean, small patch.)

2.  modules/pam_access/pam_access.c : declares "gethostname()".  Doing
this is decidedly unclean and non-portable, and causes compilation errors
from incompatible type declarations.  My patch "#ifdef"s around this
(although perhaps not optimally) so that it defaults off.  It makes use of
the next patch...

3.  "_pam_aconf.h.in":  "configure.in" and "configure" carefully detect
certain functionality, but "_pam_aconf.h.in" didn't have the templates
to hold this information.  This patch begins to address that.

With all three patches, feel free to adjust the detail.

> * fixes for static library builds and also the examples when linked
>   with the debugging build of the libraries. (Bug 131783 - agmorgan)
>
> * [ ... several other dynamic/module/static fixes ...]

Is it time to consider moving to "libtool" to handle the myriad different
ways of doing dynamic libraries and modules on various systems?  The
longer-term gain might well be worth it...

> * quoted the $CRACKLIB_DICTPATH test in configure.in (Bug 130130 -
>   agmorgan).

Oops.  That was probably a fault in my original submission.  Sorry.

Hope that all helps.  Best wishes.