Re: PAM Problem

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Brandon Handeland wrote:

> I am currently running into a weird problem with pam-0.72-7  & QPopper
> 3.02, and Qpopper 3.1.2.  It appears when we have compiled Qpopper without
> pam support, everything functions as it should.

> When we compile Qpopper with PAM support, everytime a pop3 request is
> initiated, it is easily 10 times the CPU load (usually around 80%).

> Our Unix load figures are above 30 with the pam support in.  Without the
> pam support, it is usally around .6.

> Has anyone seen this before?

I've seen this before, but not since we stopped using pam_pwdb as the
authentication module.

$ cat /etc/pam.d/pop
# qpopper
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so

The above pam config file will put far less load on the system than one using
pam_pwdb.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer