PAM: limits.conf

The /usr/doc/pam*/txt/pam.txt file states that:

To completely disable limits for a user (or a group), a single
        dash (-) will do (Example: ``bin -'', ``@admin -''). Please
        remember that individual limits have priority over group limits,
        so if you impose no limits for admin group, but one of the
        members in this group have a limits line, the user will have its
        limits set according to this line.

But when I try putting in the line:

userid -

I get this error message in /var/log/messages:

Feb 25 13:33:42 beta pam_limits[13852]: error parsing the configuration file

Can somebody explain to me how to diable limits for a user properly?  I'm
running a RH 6.2 box.

I asked Andrew Morgan & he posted up a bug report over at:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=404953&group_id=6663&atid=10
6663

Thanks,
Rich