Re: /etc/shadow problem

The 'NORM' in situations like this is that the application (in this case
httpd) is run initially as root - which is usually the case to bind to
port 80 - and then it setuid's to the user nobody. The main thing is that
the httpd process has root privileges still, it can temporarily setuid to
root to do things that require root privileges (such as authentication) and
then drop back down to the lower privilege for everything else... That's
usually how this is handled as it should be possible for any PAM library to
be able to assume it's root when it's doing privileged operations like
authentication.

Hope this helps,

Darren.

Roger Dunk wrote:

> Thanks guys. That does make sense now. I'll think I'll do what you suggested
> and modify unix_chkpwd. I guess the thing that stumped me (and caused untold
> hours of pain) was that the default PAM libs that shipped with the Cobalt
> RAQ3 must have already allowed user/group 'http' to verify any
> login/password against /etc/shadow, which I automatically assumed to be the
> norm. Ohh well, you live and learn eh.
>
> Cheers...
> Roger

begin:vcard