[ Bug #129027 ] 0.73: PAM_AUTHTOK behavior

I believe this change appeared in 0.74:

=================

So, there is a bigger issue here - it should be possible for libpam
to work out whether the application or the modules are calling a
libpam function. This part I agree with and am going to implement.

The other part, with respect to non-authentication functions getting
access to the AUTHTOK items, and I think I disagree with this.

Having AUTHTOK items in memory for an arbitrary amount of time
is generally a bad thing - has no defined behavior in the face of
an arbitrarily stacked set of modules and one that libpam should
default to not supporting.

I believe, as is currently supported by various modules, that
if a module requires that an authtoken is available subsequent to
the final return from pam_authenticate() then it should use a data
item to store the AUTHTOK it cares about - this is basically the
only way it can guaratee it knows what its doing.

==================

So, back to my original query:

What's wrong with code like this:

pam_set_item(pamh,PAM_AUTHTOK, 'passw0rD');
pam_authenticate();

It doesn't work in Pam 0.74 because of sanitisation. I'm only interested in
*one* application for this, and that's non-interactive programs which have a
username and password combination (think webservers and mail relays).
Clearly you'll sanitise the AUTHTOK on the way out. But on the way *in*?! I
know exactly what the reply is - "Binary prompts". But I don't want to use
that. I want something simple that works, which this does. try_first_pass
will still work. use_first_pass is an administrator choice.

<sigh>:o)

This is never going to happen, is it?

Regards,
Phil