Re: system variables in pam

Hello,

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Support wrote:

> 	I've got some questions about how pam enabled programs find out
> item's like a user's shell? since some of the authentication modules just
> use username/password pairs .. is it possible to have a user that doesn't
> actually exist in the etc/password file?

> 	so say for example i wanted to use the userdb module to
> authenticate users for ftp .. but i don't want those users to have entries
> in the /etc/passwd file.. how could i make that work? thanks

Information about user homes and group memberships (as well as uids) is
provided by the getpwnam() system function, not by PAM.  If you need to allow
access to users not listed in /etc/passwd, you will either need to add them to
the passwd file or use another NSS (name service switch) module that can
supply the necessary information to your libc.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer