Re: Passing password through a PAM-API

Benjamin,

> I still have one problem though .... the application I mentioned is
> primarily going to be used not from the command line. This application
> provides an API to be used by testers to write testcases, and use this API
> to start, as an example, a process as a different user. However, we would
> like to make sure they can start a process as another user by
> authenticating them (i.e., by making sure they know the password of the
> user they want to start the process as).

A while ago, the GNOME project was trying to do something along these lines
with a program called (IIRC) 'gsu'.  You might wish to have a look at their
implementation.  I lost track of it a while back, but I believe their goal was
to do exactly what you're looking for, but within the context of the PAM API.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer