Re: cistron and RedHat's pam - limiting lgin attempts

Hi Steve,

>  I am using Cistron's radiusd on a RedHat 6.1 server.. I can't get pam_tally
>  to work

>  I have in /etc/pam.d/radius:

>  auth       required     /lib/security/pam_tally.so
>  auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
>  auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
>  account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
>  account    required     /lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=3
>  password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
>  password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow use_authtok nullok md5
>  session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

>  any ideas? All I wish to do is limit the number of login attempts.. any help
>  you could provide would sure be appreciated..

I can't find any documentation for pam_tally on my system even though it's
included in the RedHat RPMs, and the module itself isn't part of the Linux-PAM
tree, so I'm working with very little information here; but unless I'm
mistaken, pam_tally is only effective when multiple authentication attempts
are made within the same PAM context.  Because each incoming radius
authentication request is independent of every other packet, there's no way to
group any of those packets into a single context, so IIUC pam_tally is not
useful here.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer