RE: PAM_SMB through Apache

Well, I think that the idea is, is that the user who is logging in needs
to have a user account locally, so that a default shell, group
memberships, etc, and thus permissions can be used.

So, no matter what you do, you're either going to need to have daemons run
as some effective UID - whether it's always the same (as in a web server
[usually]) or the uid of the user logging in. If you only want to
authenticate for a daemon that will always run as the same user, edit the
pam module to allow an option to not require a local user for
success... otherwise, you're going to need to add users to your nix
box, and the module which adds users is something that'll do it for you.

Good luck :)

Mathew Johnston