Unix password "extensions"?

Since shipping our most recent release using pam_unix instead of pam_pwdb,
we've gotten reports from users having problems authenticating using NIS
servers running on HP/UX.  It looks like the the pw_passwd or sp_pwdp
fields have additional data in them, which is marked by appending a comma
to the real data (similar to the way the gecos information is formatted).

Given that md5 crypt() allows commas in the salt, would the right way to
work around this be to use strncmp() instead of strcmp() to compare the
hashed values for md5 passwords, and to terminate the copy read from the
file at the first comma for other (crypt/bigcrypt) cases?

Nalin