Fake pam_unix?

  I am trying to use PAM to authenticate users for the cyrus imapd and the
  apache web server; I have tried different modules and they work fine, but I
  would like to (re)use the existing '/etc/shadow' entries in the system for
  the authentication, but removing the user accounts (deleting them from
  '/etc/passwd' and '/etc/shadow') while maintaining the old user names and
  passwords for mail and web access.

  The module I am thinking of should implement the password change
  functionality (there should be a way for users to change their password,
  something that is missing in the modules of this kind that I have found),
  and maintain compatibility with the pam_unix password formats, making
  possible the movement of users from the system password files to the fake
  ones and the other way around.

  Has anybody written something like this?

  If no, Is anybody interested?

--