Module configuration

Hello, I have written a PAM (should I say "PAM" or "PAM module"?) that
will send an alert when a given user logs into the system. However, I am
a bit confused as to how to configure when the module should be used by
PAM.

I want the module to only run if the user has already been
authenticated. At first I considered using the following as the
configuration line:

auth optional /lib/security/pam_login_alert.so

But that will generate an alert even if the user is not authenticated
via pam_unix.so or something similar. (My module returns PAM_IGNORE.)

I then considered using the module only when a session is opened via:

session optional /lib/security/pam_login_alert.so

But I'm not sure if every application will actually open a session. This
means that the module may not be invoked even if the user is actually
authenticated for the service.

What is the best way to do this? Suggestions are appreciated.